This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The sushi burrito is a food trend that is popping up at restaurants and so Simply LaKita decided to make her own version at home.
The sushi burrito is a new food trend that is making its way to sushi restaurant menus everywhere and it leads me to think…”Why didn’t anyone come up with this idea sooner?”
I mean seriously its the combination of sushi and a burrito, two items which I just so happen to love. I also love re-creating both of these food items in my kitchen at home and so it only made sense for me to give the sushi burrito a try.
- Sushi Rice Ingredients:
- 2 cups sushi rice or any short grain rice
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Sushi Burrito Ingredients:
- nori sheets
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, roasted or baked, and sliced
- shredded slaw mix or shredded cabbage
- 1 large cucumber, sliced thinly
- dijon mustard
- soy sauce or tamari
- To make the sushi rice – First, wash the rice with cold water until the water runs clear and allow it to drain. You do not want to skip this step because this is what will make the rice sticky and easier to work with.
- Next, cook the rice according to the package instructions and place the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small microwaveable bowl and microwave for a few seconds until the sugar and salt have completely dissolved.
- Place the rice into a large bowl and allow it to cool to a little. With the rice still being warm, pour in the rice vinegar mixture folding the mixture into the rice making sure to coat all of the rice until it is shiny.
- Wrap your sushi rolling mat with plastic wrap for easy cleanup and place a nori sheet on the mat and if you have the shorter nori, then you want to seal the edges of two pieces together with a small amount of water.
- Dip your fingers in cool water and run them along the two edges and press them together until they stick.
- Cover the nori with a thin layer of sushi rice, spread a small line of dijon mustard on top of the rice and continue to add the slaw mix, avocado, cucumber, and sweet potato.
- Since we are making a burrito instead of regular sushi do not worry about filling with too many toppings….So pile on the toppings!
- Begin to tightly roll the sushi using the mat and gently pressing until everything comes together.
- Place another sheet of nori under the edge of the end sheet, moisten the edge with some water until the sheets stick together and continue rolling the sushi burrito.
- If you have the small nori sheets you will probably need to stick 3 together and if you have the larger sheets then 2 sheets should be enough.
- Repeat the same process until you run out of filling ingredients…this recipe yield about 3 to 4 sushi burritos depending on how much you fill each one.
- Slice the sushi burrito in half, serve with a side of soy sauce for dipping, and enjoy.
Got any comments, questions, or other ideas for this Sushi Burrito? Share them in the comments below!