This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Hot and Sour Soup - Make this version of a take-out soup favorite at home and save your money. Few ingredients and full of flavor!
Today is the first official day of Fall!
This is my favorite season of the year. I love the mild weather when it is not cold enough for a jacket, but not so hot that you cannot stand to be outside. The leaves begin to change all the beautiful colors and people begin to gear up for the upcoming holidays. Fall is also the time of year that you can still get away with enjoying a cool treat such as ice cream, but you may find yourself having more hot and comforting meals such as chili, stews, and soups.
The good thing about chili, stews, and soups is that you can add all of the ingredients into one pot and cook everything until it is ready. One pot equals less mess to clean up. So today, I will share with you a quick and easy recipe for Hot and Sour Soup.
This soup cooks up fast because you do not have to wait for any meat to cook because of the addition of tofu. The rice vinegar makes the soup sour and the hot part comes from the red pepper flakes. If you are not a fan of too much spice in dishes, then feel free to use less, while if you need more heat you can add in more red pepper flakes and even a splash of sriracha.
If you decided to give this quick to make soup and try, then please let me know in the comment section below or tag me on all social media platforms at simplylakita, as I love seeing what you guys are creating in your kitchens.
Hot and Sour Soup
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Using a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar and corn starch until smooth and set aside.
- Using a large Dutch oven, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the sliced mushroom and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the corn starch mixture until the soup has thickened and slowly add in the eggs while continuously stirring the soup with a fork.
- Continue to cook the soup until the eggs have set and created ribbons, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the tofu slices and sesame oil.
- Serve hot garnished with sliced green onions and additional red pepper flakes.
Got any comments, questions, or other ideas for this Hot and Sour Soup? Share them in the comments below!