This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Glazed Lemon Bread is a delicious sweet tangy bread that is great for breakfast or served with tea as an afternoon treat.
It was one of those days…One of those days when I felt like I needed something sweet and homemade in my life, but I did not want to make a big fuss. I just wanted something that I could make with my hand mixer, a bowl, and items that I currently have in my pantry.
So I pulled out the new cookbook that I purchased last weekend at Barnes & Noble on sale for $12.98 that was originally priced at $34.95 (don’t you just love a bargain). Bon Appetit Fast Easy Fresh by Barbara Fairchild. It has 1100 recipes which if I used this book alone would be more than enough to keep me busy cooking all year.
It is always great when you stumble upon a simple recipe that not only incorporates fresh ingredients, but also items that you already have in your kitchen. No additional trips required to the store due to missing something is always a good thing.
This recipe makes a sweet bread that almost reminds me of a lighter version pound cake.
Glazed Lemon Bread
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, blend together the 1 cup sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs in one at a time followed by mixing in the lemon peel.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and slowly add the flour mixture followed by the milk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 1 hour. Allow the bread to cool in the pan on a rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and the lemon juice. Pierce the top of the bread all over with a skewer or the handle of a wooden spoon and spoon the lemon glaze over the bread while it is still warm.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Got any comments, questions, or other ideas for Glazed Lemon Bread? Share them in the comments below!