This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy Berry Crisp is a delicious dessert recipe that is a great way to use your favorite mix of seasonal berries. It is the right amount of sweetness with a crispy sweet layer. Serve warm with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
Well, well, well, here we are almost at the official beginning of summer and almost at the end of June. I find myself in disbelief at either one of those statements. Like seriously is it really almost summer already and where in the world did June go?
There have been so many things going on that time truly feels as though it is slowing down in some way while speeding up at the same time in other ways.
It has been a lot.
So many life changes.
This summer will look much different.
I try to still find a bit of normalcy by keeping things routine in my home, especially when it comes to food and recipes. But even some days that’s hard. Please tell me that I am not alone. I am definitely finding comfort in updating old recipes here on the blog and I have one such recipe to share with you today.
Today I will share with you a quick and easy berry dessert recipe that is the perfect excuse to take full advantage of the berries that are in abundance at the grocery stores these days. Trust me you will want to give this recipe a try and feel free to use any combination of berries that you prefer.
For this recipe, I used blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries to make up the 6 cups that the recipe requires. I used one regular size container for each type of berry. I sliced up the strawberries into smaller pieces, but if you want to leave them in larger chunks then simply hull them out and slice them lengthwise.
What ingredients are needed for this berry dessert?
- A mixture of berries, any combination will do. Try strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, or raspberry.
- All-purpose flour
- Old fashioned rolled oats
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
How to make berry crisp:
Preheat the oven 400 degrees F. and spray an 8×8 inch square baking dish or a 10 inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray or butter. Using a large bowl, combine the mixed berries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon juice, and gently stir until all of the berries are fully coated and pour into the prepared dish or skillet and set aside.
In a separate bowl, prepare the crisp topping by whisking together the all-purpose flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and salt. Next work the butter into the mixture using your hands until it resembles a coarse meal and all of the butter is distributed throughout the mixture.
Pour the mixture over top of the berries in the dish or skillet making sure the topping is covering all of the berries on top.
Place into the oven and bake about 30 minutes until the crisp layer is golden brown. Allow cooling in the pan for 10 minutes prior to serving. Serve warm topped with your favorite ice cream, the sauce with thicken as it cools.
Easy Berry Crisp
- 6 cups fresh berries (any combination)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- juice of half a lemon
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened (substitute Earth Balance for a Vegan version)
- Preheat the oven 400 degrees F. and spray an 8x8 inch square baking dish or 10 inch cast iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray or use butter.
- Using a large bowl, combine the 6 cups of mixed berries, ½ cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, ¼ teaspoon salt, lemon juice, and gently stir until all of the berries are fully coated and pour into the prepared dish or skillet and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the crisp topping by whisking together the ¾ cup all-purpose flour, ¾ cup oats, ½ cup brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Next work the 6 tablespoons butter into the mixture using your hands until it resembles a coarse meal and all of the butter is distributed throughout the mixture.
- Pour the mixture over top of the berries in the dish or skillet making sure the topping is covering all of the berries on top.
- Place into the oven and bake about 30 minutes until the crisp layer is golden brown. Allow cooling in the pan for 10 minutes prior to serving. Serve warm topped with your favorite ice cream, the sauce with thicken as it cools. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Need more berry recipe ideas? Try these:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to use this Easy Berry Crisp recipe? Please share them in the comments below!