This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Make this Chocolate Avocado Mousse for a healthy version of chocolate mousse made using two ripe avocados and cocoa powder. A quick and easy dessert recipe!
I love avocado!
At any given moment on any day, just check my refrigerator on you will find avocado in there. Even though I'm not quite sure if avocado toast is still a thing, I definitely still have it a few days a week. It is so easy to make and my stomach loves having it in the morning. I try to add avocado to other meals as well throughout the day. They are so creamy and delicious.
AND...of course this led me to figure out a way that I can have them for dessert. Today I will be sharing a simple recipe for a simple to make mousse that stars chocolate and avocado. It is so rich, creamy and delicious.
Let's get started!
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED TO MAKE THIS AVOCADO CHOCOLATE MOUSSE RECIPE?
This two-step dessert recipe is made with avocados but does not taste like a plain avocado if that makes sense. The added cocoa powder and sweetener make plain old avocado into a rich and creamy dessert everyone is sure to love.
- Avocados - Be sure to use ripe avocados for this recipe as it will be easier to blend with the rest of the ingredients and it will add more of a subtle sweet flavor.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - Use a quality unsweetened cocoa powder for rich flavor. Make sure you select unsweetened as we will be adding sweetener to the mousse.
- Agave nectar - To sweeten the mousse, may substitute honey or maple syrup if you would like.
- Molasses - This ingredient adds bold rich flavor to this mousse! Trust me. However, you can omit it if you don't have any available.
- Vanilla extract - Spring for the pure over imitation unless that is all that you have on hand.
- Salt - You definitely do not want to skip this step as the salt bring out the flavor of the chocolate. I prefer kosher or sea salt but use what you prefer.
HOW TO MAKE THIS AVOCADO MOUSSE RECIPE:
Begin the recipe by grabbing a food processor or blender if you don't have one. Then grab two ripe avocados. Cut both of the avocados in half and remove the seed. Use a spoon to scoop out the center part of each of the four avocado halves. Add into the food processor, cover and process on the puree setting until smooth.
Next, stop the food processor and remove the top to add in the unsweetened cocoa powder, agave nectar, molasses, vanilla extract, and salt. Place the top back on the food processor and continue on the puree setting until fully combined.
Stop the food processor and remove the mousse and place into four small glass jars. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until firm and chill, 2 to 4 hours. Serve topped with your favorite fruit and Enjoy!
Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon molasses
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Begin the recipe by grabbing a food processor or blender if you don’t have one. Cut both of the 2 avocados in half and remove the seed. Use a spoon to scoop out the center part of each of the four avocado halves.
- Add into the food processor, cover and process on the puree setting until smooth.
- Next, stop the food processor and remove the top to add in the ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, ½ cup agave nectar, ½ teaspoon molasses, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Place the top back on the food processor and continue on the puree setting until fully combined.
- Stop the food processor once again and remove the mousse and place into 4 small ramekins, small serving jars or bowls. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to firm and chill, about 2 to 4 hours.
- Serve topped with your favorite fruit and Enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 3 days.
Original post date 02/24/2016. Updated 04/19/2021. Updated photos are by Gabby of Cookie Dough Diaries
WANT A FEW MORE EASY DESSERT RECIPES? TRY THESE:
Have any comments, questions, or other suggestions for this delicious Chocolate Avocado Mousse? Please share them in the comments below!