This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Chocolate Cake – This is a simple recipe to yield a small homemade chocolate cake that is rich and full of flavor. Try it!
Today is National Chocolate Cake Day and in honor of the event I felt that it was only right for me to share with you a recipe for my favorite chocolate cake. But before we get into that…let’s chit chat a bit.
When it comes to cake, what is your favorite flavor? Mine is absolutely hands down chocolate cake and even though I am not against the easy boxed cake mixes that you can pick up from the grocery store and just add water, eggs, and oil, there is nothing better than making a cake from scratch.
And of course I already know that you are way too overloaded with the events of daily life to drop everything to make a cake each time the mood hits and so I am here to tell you that I Got You!
Making a homemade chocolate cake from scratch does not have to be complicated nor does it have to take you spending hours upon hours in the kitchen. This recipe uses one bowl and one spoon (or whisk) and I will also even save you a step by freeing you up from making any icing or putting it on this cake and before you say…“What? No Icing”…Let me tell you that for this cake you don’t even need it because this cake is so rich and decadent that adding a layer of icing would just be way too much and could perhaps send you into sugar overload and I wouldn’t want that to happen to you. So just trust me when I say…”You do not need any icing for this cake.” What you may enjoy as an alternative to icing is some fresh or frozen (thawed) berries and a light dusting of powdered sugar and if you really want to be all fancy, then add a drizzle of chocolate syrup to the plate right before you serve it….BAM!! Do that and your friends and family will think this masterpiece took you hours in the kitchen and I will not be the one to tell them any different.
If you give this chocolate cake recipe a try…please be sure to share it with me in the comment section below and with Valentine’s Day quickly approaching…this may be the perfect treat for the occasion.
Homemade Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup any seedless jam
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon strongly brewed coffee
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and butter and lightly flour a 6″ round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl (large enough to hold all of the batter), melt the butter in the microwave in short pulses. Once the butter is melted, stir in the chocolate chips. Stir the chocolate constantly until it melts completely into the butter.
- Next, add the jam and sugar and whisk until smooth. It is perfectly fine if some of the jam doesn’t melt into the batter. Add the egg and whisk until combined. Sprinkle in the flour, baking powder and salt over the batter and stir just until well-combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake 30 to 40 minutes; until a toothpick inserted comes out with only moist crumbs clinging to it. Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes in the pan before removing and allow it to cool completely before cutting and serving. The cake will sink a little in the middle, but it will be very dense and moist.