This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Blueberry Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake is a coffee cake and the perfect treat. It is so easy to make and delicious, especially if you love blueberries and pecans. The best excuse to have cake for breakfast.
Did you know that as long as you put the word coffee in front of cake then it is perfectly acceptable for you to have cake for breakfast?
Well, say hello to Coffee Cake aka ‘I’m having cake for breakfast’ and this is not just any old type of coffee cake, but way better because blueberries and pecans are baked inside of this coffee cake. And just in case you thought that I would stop there, then I take it up another notch by adding a streusel topping.
You may be thinking to yourself ‘what in the world is a streusel topping’ and let me tell you that it is the perfect combination of flour, butter, and sugar to form the ultimate crumbly topping of sweet goodness.
This coffee cake is also simple to make and can be whipped up in less than an hour. It is the perfect treat to make if you have unexpected company to drop by and pay you a visit because they will think this recipe is way more labor intensive than it actually is.
Also if you find that you are not a fan of blueberries or just don’t have any in your fridge or freeze, then you can absolutely substitute in strawberries, raspberries, peaches, apples, or any fruit and nut combination that you prefer. You really cannot mess up this recipe at all, it is just that easy.
What ingredients are needed for this blueberry coffee cake?
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Blueberries, frozen or fresh
How to make blueberry pecan coffee cake:
Begin the coffee cake recipe by lightly spraying a square 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate bowl with a whisk or a mixer, combine together the butter, granulated sugar, egg, and milk until smooth. Slowly add in the flour mixture a little at a time until combined. The batter will be thick.
If using a mixer, turn it off and carefully fold in the blueberries and chopped pecans by hand with a spatula or wooden spoon.
Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish. Set aside.
For the streusel topping, in a small bowl combine granulated sugar and all-purpose flour together. Cut in the cubed butter until it resembles a clumpy coarse meal. Evenly spread over the cake mixture in the baking dish.
Place into the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean with little to no crumbs. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack before cutting to serve.
Do I use fresh or frozen blueberries for this recipe?
You can use either for this recipe. I prefer frozen because I almost always have them in my freezer, but either is perfectly fine for this recipe.
Blueberry Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- Lightly spray a square 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl with a whisk or a mixer, combine together the ½ cup butter, ¾ cup granulated sugar, 1 egg, and ½ cup milk until smooth. Slowly add in the flour mixture a little at a time until combined. The batter will be thick.
- If using a mixer, turn it off and carefully fold in the blueberries and chopped pecans by hand with a spatula or wooden spoon. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish. Set aside.
- For the streusel topping, in a small bowl combine ½ cup granulated sugar and ⅓ cup all-purpose flour together.
- Cut in the cubed ¼ cup cold butter until it resembles a clumpy coarse meal. Evenly spread over the cake mixture in the baking dish.
- Place into the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean with little to no crumbs. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack before cutting to serve.
- May leave the cake in the baking dish or cut to store in an airtight container. Store the coffee cake at room temperature up to 3 days.
- May substitute fresh blueberries for frozen in this recipe in the same unit of measurement.
- Be sure not to over mix this cake mixture, it will be lumpy and thick before adding the blueberries and pecans.
- Once the cake is ready, carefully remove as you do not want to over bake. This will result in a dry cake.
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Need more berry recipe ideas? Try these:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to use this Blueberry Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake? Please share them in the comments below!
I'm all for cake for breakfast ☺ It's no different than eating a muffin...lol. This looks delicious.
My feelings exactly 🙂
I love a good coffee cake and you've got winning ingredients. ..this looks scrumptious. .I've got to try this
Thank you! I love a good coffee cake 🙂
This looks so good! What a yummy way to start the day 🙂
Thank you...I thought so as well 🙂
Aww yeah. I would eat all of that. I love the berries and that crumbly top is the bomb. I love desserts like this.
Thank you so much Ben! I love them as well!!
Amy Liu Dong
Wow, this cake flavor is amazing and I am sure that a coffee lover will like this like me and my sisters.
Thank you Amy! It is perfect with a cup of coffee!
I love coffee cakes, blueberries and of course streusel which I think makes EVERYTHING better! This is my dream cake. Beautiful recipe, thanks for sharing!
Thank you Paula! I agree streusel makes everything better.
So glad it is blueberry season! This recipe doesn't disappoint. Perfect for an on the go breakfast.
Thank you Jen! Love blueberry season!!
Cake for breakfast? Yes please! Plus blueberries are one of my favourite cake ingredients!
Thank you Jacqueline! Cake for breakfast is the best!!
I wholeheartedly love tea cakes and the textures and flavours you have combined in this recipe make me want to try it. Pinning it to bake over the weekend.
Thank you Kari, hope you enjoy!
Mama Maggie's Kitchen
This Blueberry Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake looks Incredibly delicious. I have to make this soon for my family!
Thank you so much Maggie, please try it!
Totally in love with the combo in cake. Amazingly delicious
Thank you Kushigalu!!
GUNJAN C Dudani
I love coffee cake but have not tried it with berries. This is something really new. I must bake this in the coming week.
Thank you Gunjan, blueberries and coffee cake are amazing!
Yum, this coffee cake looks amazing! I have all the ingredients so printing this one out to try tomorrow. Can't wait!
Thank you Sam! Hope you try and enjoy!
This Blueberry Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake had me like "WOW" this has to be one of the best tasting Blueberry Pecan Streusel Coffee Cakes I have had. This recipe is a keeper for sure!
Thank you so much Heidy!!!!