All About Skin Toner takes a closer look at the importance of toning the skin and balancing the ph levels of the skin. It is an important step in your skincare regimen.
All About Skin…Toner.
- Removes the residue left behind by cleansers or other products (you may actually see the dirt left behind after you have cleansed your skin). Toning finishes the cleansing process by removing any product left on the skin.
- Restores the skin’s natural pH
- Hydrates the skin…Helps with dehydration of the skin.
- Temporarily tightens the skin and the follicle opening
- Helps with certain skin conditions (such as acne) depending on the ingredients
- Flushes out the pores of the skin
- Using a soothing or antibacterial toner may calm the skin, control oil, and kill bacteria
*Keep in mind that toners may also be known as fresheners, tonics, and astringents.
Fresheners have a low alcohol content level and are beneficial for dry skin, mature skin, and sensitive skin. Toners usually have a higher alcohol content level and will tone and tighten the skin. Toners are designed for use on normal and combination skin types. Astringents have the highest alcohol content level and are used primarily for the oily and acne-prone skin. Astringents help oily and acneic skin conditions dramatically by removing excess oil left on the skin, but they can be drying and should be used with care.
Toners can be applied with a soft cotton pad or misted/sprayed directly on the skin. If you have a facial treatment done on your skin by a skin therapist, then they may use a spray machine to apply toner. Usually, any product line that you select will have a toner, freshener, tonics, astringents for you to choose from for your correct skin type. If you find that your toner is a bit too strong for you, then do not be afraid to dilute it with water. Take the cotton pad and wet it first, squeeze out the excess water, then put your toner on the same cotton pad, and apply it directly to your skin.
So what do I use…
Well as you can probably tell by now…I am a fan of Dermalogica so I have used their Multi-Active Toner which is great, but when I run out of that or my skin begins to experience problems then I used Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel. I love Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel mainly because it is very affordable, you can purchase it anywhere (I have gotten it at the grocery store), and it lasts a long time…a little goes a long way.
So if you are not using toner…add it to your skin care routine today!
See you tomorrow when we talk about Exfoliants.
For more information on other beneficial products that you can add to your skincare routine, but sure to click the following links to learn more: