An apple snack that is so quick and easy to make when the afternoon munchies hits you and you need something in a hurry. The perfect snack.
My favorite meal of the day is one that I am not even sure if it counts as a meal, but I love snack time!
I am a serious snacker…so much so that I am notorious for skipping meals and having snacks instead. Yes I know that I’m not supposed to do that and it is completely horrible for my metabolism, but I just cannot help myself. There is something totally awesome about a good snack.
I will usually have 2 snacks a day…one in the morning after breakfast; before lunch, and one in the afternoon; before dinner around 4:00pm ish.
Snacks are a great way to stabilize your blood sugar and eating smaller meals throughout the day limits bouts of being hangry, and no one likes a hangry-monster.
My morning snack usually, almost always consists of fresh fruit with a side of granola or yogurt. However in the afternoon as the work day is coming to an end I need a snack that is hardy, contains protein to take the edge off, and something sweet. If I have a big breakfast then I can forego the morning snack, but there is no way that I could ever miss out on the afternoon snack because after whatever I have eaten for lunch wears off and with dinner nowhere soon in sight, I will need something to tide me over.
And that is where this baby comes in….
This snack includes your favorite apple thinly sliced ( I used a honey crisp), topped with your favorite nut butter (I love almond butter), sprinkled with a little cinnamon on each slice, topped with a sprinkle of shredded coconut, followed by some mini chocolate chips. This snack is sure to satisfy the hangrys of anyone and build the perfect bridge to your next meal aka dinner.
So now let’s break down the many great benefits of this apple snack shall we:
- Apple – Consuming an apple pre-meal will prevent a rapid rise in blood sugar, has tons of fiber, and will make you feel fuller longer so you won’t have the urge to overeat during your meal. Plus they say an apple a day keeps the doctor away J
- Nut Butter – High in protein which will again make you feel fuller longer, it is a good fat, and is so delicious when paired with apples.
- Cinnamon – Great antioxidant, appetite suppressant, and can help control blood sugar.
- Coconut – Improves digestion and stabilizes glucose levels
- Chocolate – Okay it’s chocolate—Do you really need a reason! Plus it adds an extra layer of sweetness to this snack without over doing it.
So what is your favorite snack? Be sure to share it with me in the comment section listed below and I may just give it a try.